Chehalem Mountain

Chehalem Mountain

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Meet the Artist


Debra Nelson - Clay


"A lump of clay is to me what a blank canvas is to a painter.  There is a form in there waiting to get out.

Between the two of us, the clay and me, we agree what that shape will be.  Sometimes I'm entirely in charge.  At other times the clay provides subtle guidance resulting in a truly collaborative relationship.  This is mostly evident when exploring new shapes.  The first attempts can be clumsy until my hands and the clay come to an understanding of this new form.

And if this isn't enough of a challenge, there is always the struggle between the glaze and the fire.  It reminds me of a parent sending a child out into the world.  You've taught it everything you could.  Now it's up to them to sink or swim.  You've formed the clay, calculated and applied the glazes, and released the vessel to the fire.

Opening the kiln is always an opportunity for learning.  What worked and what needs to be re-evaluated.  It is this moment that keeps me going back to the wet clay, to discover other possibilities and to continue learning."







No comments:

Post a Comment